You have planned a great route and are wondering about what essential hiking gear to pack for your journey. Hiking gear does not need to be expensive; however there are some pieces you should always consider.
7 Pieces of Essential Hiking Gear
1. Hiking Footwear – first a good pair of hiking boots, suitable for the terrain on your hike that will protect your feet. Your hiking gear needs to also include hiking socks to prevent blisters. Your footwear is the most important piece of essential gear for your day hike.
2. Backpack – your second piece of essential gear for your hike comes in many different shapes and sizes. Your backpack should be lightweight, be large enough for your camping gear and food, have pockets for equipment and your water bottles. A rain cover is a nice option although many hikers use a poncho tarp as has multi-uses.
3. Food and water – high energy snacks such as trail mix, energy bars, bananas along with a light lunch during the day. Sports drinks and water are also essential. A lack of hydration will cause cramps and loss of energy as well. Of course you will need breakfast and dinner items as well.
4. Map and/or guidebook – you need to know where you are headed so this is also an essential pick of hiking gear. If hiking in a wilderness area it is also recommended you carry a compass and have a basic knowledge on their use. Many hikers today are also using a GPS although it is not an essential piece of hiking gear.
5. Safety items – a first aid kit, always an essential piece of hiking gear on any hike. Your kit should contain materials to treat minor cuts, blisters and burns. A cell phone is also handy in case of emergencies.
6. Camping gear – your essential hiking gear may include a bivy tent or shelter, sleeping bag, pot, plate and perhaps a camp stove. All should be lightweight and pack compactly. Click here to see some bivy tents.
7. Clothes – depending on the conditions your clothing needs to keep you warm, dry and comfortable. This can include a wind jacket, rainwear, hiking pants or shorts, long sleeve shirt and sun hat. Don’t forget to pack the sunglasses, sunscreen, toiletries, insect repellent as well.
Although not essential many hikers also take hiking poles, digital cameras, swiss army knife.
Now that you are all packed for your hike with your essential hiking gear go out and have a wonderful time in the outdoors.