The Garmin eTrex 20 GPS Receiver helps you navigate through the toughest terrain while hiking. The new eTrex 20x is our upgraded version of the popular eTrex 20, with enhanced screen resolution and expanded internal memory so you can download a greater variety of maps than ever. This rugged, dependable GPS retains the ease of-use and affordability that eTrex is legendary for, with an array of compatible mounts for use on ATVs, bicycles, boatsand cars. The new eTrex 20x also has the ability to track both GPS and GLONASS satellites simultaneously
Features of the Garmin eTrex 20 include a high sensitivity, WAAS enabled handheld GPS receiver which can locate your position quickly and precisely while maintaining its GPS location even in heavy forest cover and deep canyons. This can really be important in finding your way back to the trailhead if necessary.
This Garmin has an easy to use menu so you can create and view up to 500 waypoints, save and view 10 track logs.
Besides appreciating its small size, hikers will also be happy with the unique button layout of the Garmin eTrex receiver, with five buttons located on either side of the unit. The benefits of this design are twofold: First, the Garmin 20 is a breeze to operate with just one hand, and, second, with the buttons on both sides of the unit, the bulk of the front is dedicated to the 65k-color, sunlight-readable TFT display. This makes it easy to distinguish map details regardless of the time of day.
Here are some of the great features of the Garmin eTrex 20 GPS:
- Handheld GPS with wrist strap
- Features a 2.2″ 65K color sunglight readable display offering increased resolution (240 Large 3.7 GB of internal memory and microSD card slot lets you load a variety of maps, including TOPO 24K, HuntView, BlueChart g2, City Navigator NT and BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required)x 320 pixels)
- Maintains GPS location in heavy cover and deep canyons
- Intuitive Operation
- Waterproof housing
- Built-in patch antenna
- Geocaching mode
- Uses convenient AA batteries (runs for up to 14 hours)
- USB interface (cable included) for high speed map downloads
- 24 MB of internal memory allowing you to load waypoints and routes from the included MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager software
- Includes a worldwide basemap with shaded relief. Display size:1.4 x 1.7 inches
- User’s manual and quick start guide
- One year warranty
The Garmin Venture does include a detailed base map although most hikers find this covers mainly highways and is not sufficient for their needs. Garmin does have that optional maps available and you will find they are really necessary.
Here’s what one of the owners had to say about the Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
I’ve used this mostly on trails the past month. This GPS gets a signal fast and keeps it when older models lose it. The buttons are fairly easy to figure out and work almost the same as other Garmin units. I like the ability to customize what screens are displayed and what order they show in, when you cycle through with the Page button. Marking your current location is as easy as pressing and holding the button on the unit’s face. (Stewart S)
Click here to check out other models of hiking GPS. The Garmin eTrex 20 GPS Receiver is a handheld unit that will help you navigate on your next hike with ease.